Thursday 18 December 2014

Christmas as a child!

I remember Christmases as a child.

I remember Mom baking chocolate macaroons, sugar cookies, pies and dad doing the grocery shopping once a year.

I remember sitting in my bedroom window on a Christmas Eve that seemed so solemn in my home when my dad drove in the driveway and announced to my mom that he had gotten paid and they were going to town.

I remember the next day having an exciting Christmas morning opening stockings and gifts and having a delicious meal not realizing that if he had not been paid the day before, Christmas may not have been.

I remember asking Santa for a Cabbage Patch Doll every year for about 3 years because at my school unless you had one you were not invited to the girls birthday parties, never finding it under the tree and wondering why.

I remember one year finding a lamp decorated with Cabbage Patch kid stickers, I still have the lamp.

I remember the year Santa did bring my Cabbage Patch Kid and I knew it by the shape of the box under the tree, I ran to show my parents in their bed and the look of excitement for my joy was emanating from them.

I remember going for a walk alone on Christmas day as a child and standing under a big pine tree branch and shaking the snow off of it all over my head, feeling the spirit glowing inside me.

I remember going to my Grandmas farm for Christmas, the smells, the people, the food and her tree.

I remember decorating our tree every year with my brothers and sister, the special bulbs we had, one that I am proud to put on my own tree every year.

I remember December 1st, the advent calendars came out and we wanted so bad to eat them all but mom made us wait day by day till Santa came.

I remember laying in bed Christmas Eve with my sister and giggling, unable to sleep in the excitement waiting for Santa to come, determined this year we will catch him coming down the chimney.

I remember making molasses taffy with mom and dad and braiding it hung from the nails that dad also used to hang his beaver castors when trapping.

I remember Santa visiting us at the request of Bill Kennedy one year with a whole sack of goodies, he had great glasses.

I remember the Lions Club delivering a turkey basket every year.

I remember the neighbours delivering trays of sweets to our door.

I remember the Christmas cards hung all around the archway into the kitchen.

I remember going to the ice rink that my brothers had shovelled in front of the house to skate and use our new toys.

I remember Christmas concerts with Santa's visit and going home with a brown paper bag of hard candy.

I remember family, friends, warmth, food, sparkle, joy and the overwhelming feeling that filled my heart with love and the spirit of Christmas.

I remember Christmases as a child.

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful memories Barb, I think that we all need to go back to simpler times, not expecting huge expensive gifts, electronics and 50$ stocking stuffers. This year, we awe going to enjoy much of our Christmas as gifts fashioned with love and home made and give more of things that really matter. merry Christmas Barb

    ReplyDelete